Wrap up some spooky treats and cast a spell with witches brew this Halloween. It's that tie of the year to start brewing up some wicked treats for your ghouls and goblins. How about some sweet and salty Mummified Popcorn to add to the basket?
As I discussed in my original post "You've Been Boo'd", every year we deliver a package of Halloween goodies to my kid's neighborhood friends. I decided that we would use the same concept from the "Grinch Popcorn", since the kids loved it so much during Christmas, but I changed the recipe up a bit to make the popcorn a sweet and salty Halloween treat that we could add to our You've Been Boo'd basket.
This time around I came up with the following recipe:
Makes enough to fill 6 small Popcorn Treat Boxes
- 1/3 cup of Jolly Time Popcorn Kernels
- 3 tbsp. of Vegetable Oil
- Morton's Popcorn Salt
- 2 tbsp. of Sweet Cream Salted Butter
- 1/4 cup of Sweet Cream Salted Butter
- 3 cups of Mini Marshmallows
- Red and Yellow Food Coloring
- 1/4 cup of Mini M&M Candies - Yellow, Orange, and Brown
- Eyeball Candies
- Cookie Sheet lined with parchment paper
- Mixing Bowl
- Large Saucepan
- Large Pot with Glass Lid
- Heat Resistent-Rubber Spatula for mixing
- Popcorn Treat Boxes
- Halloween Sticker Embellishments
- Halloween Ribbon
- Clear cellophane treat bags with twist ties
1. In a large pot with a glass lid, heat the oil. Add one kernel when you think the oil is ready to test it out. When it pops, add the 2 tbsp. of butter and popcorn kernels.
2. Once all of the popcorn has popped, place the popcorn in large bowl. Salt the popcorn to taste and set aside to allow it to cool. Pick out any kernels and half-popped kernels.
3. Melt the 1/4 cup of butter in a large sauce pan on medium heat. Add the mini marshmallows to the pan and stir until nice and melted. Turn off the heat and add the red and yellow food coloring to the marshmallow mixture. Add one drop of color at a time until you get the orange color you are looking for in your mixture.
4. Pour most of the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn in the bowl and mix well. Pour the coated popcorn onto a cookie sheet layered with parchment paper. Drizzle the remaining marshmallow mixture over the popcorn and add some unmelted mini marshmallows and the 1/4 cup of mixed yellow, orange, and brown mini M&M's over the popcorn while it's still warm. I also added mini eyeball candies to the mix for creepy look.
5. Allow to cool before placing the yummy treat into the Popcorn Treat Boxes.
Check out how we made our You've Been Boo'd goodie baskets this year in the next post.